Prattle on
Thursday, January 27, 2005
 
So, last night I went to the Dionne Brand reading at the Gladstone. I have to admit I was skeptical. I have been to several reading and I have never once had to get tickets to go. Also, I have heard her read before and, frankly, her tone often irritates me. But since I got the ticket for Christmas (great gift idea…thanks…) I had to go. No ducking out. The evening started on a sour note. I hate running into people that I wish would hurry up and fall off the face of the earth! Call me immature or call me dramatic, I don’t care, but some people just deserve to be totally ignored. Why waste more time than I already have.

Anyway, the reading was way better than I expected. Brand is also a poet and I hate most poetry, so I was nervous that she was still writing that lyrical prose shit everyone was subjected to in the 90’s. While at university I read another novel of hers ‘In Another Place, Not Here.’ I hated it as the characters were totally indistinguishable from one another, and the storyline was meandering at best. However, what she read from this book sounded really good. Perhaps I’ll pick it up. It got great reviews, too.

So, this morning the TTC was an orgy of inefficiency. Really, it was bad. The College car was packed with people, but that wasn’t the worst of it. It is terribly cold outside and this is the morning the Sherbourne bus decides to totally disregard the schedule. My feet still hurt.

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger