Prattle on
Friday, March 04, 2005
 
So, right now I am at my mother's house in Pickering. It's pretty funny here. About an hour ago my mom and my aunt told me this ridiculous jumbie story which featured evil spirits, possession, "bubbling bottles", other people's money and the Dutch. Apparently, the Dutch used to hide money in bottles and bury them in the Guyanese soil. Then they would curse the bottles so that if someone stole the money the spirit would then invade the body of the thief who would then go crazy. Mom says that my grandmother, her mother, used to tell these stories. I'd love to hear what my other grandmother, granny Doris, thought of that story, but she passed away in 1996. Granny Doris always used to tell me she was Dutch.

It strikes me how superstitious people can be and then I get surprised at how superstitious I can be. Earlier my mother had me try on a couple pairs of shoes. I asked her where she got them, and the conversation went as follows:
Me: "Mom, where did you get all these shoes?" As I cram my huge foot into a slim brown Italian leather loafer.
Mom: "Oh, Elo brought them for me from work." She says absent-mindedly
Me: "From work?" My aunt Elo does not work in a shoe store.
Mom: "Yes, they used to belong to one of their clients, some woman, I don't know."
Me: Suddenly realizing that I may be wearing a dead woman's shoe. "Wait a minute, the client isn't dead is she?"
Mom: "Well, she never really wore them!"
|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger